Thursday 20 October 2011

My first godson (TJ)

I met up with one of my very close friend today, I knew her almost a year after I came to Canada from Nigeria, it’s almost 12 years now. She Just had a baby boy 2 weeks ago and I was very excited to see the newborn (TJ). TJ was sleeping when I saw him; it was love at first sight. He looked so calm and gentle, definitely cute and adorable. I would post his pic but I have to get approval first from Mama. While we were waiting to see the doctor, she asked me if I wanted to be TJ‘s godmother, though I don’t really believe in godmother and such, I feel so blessed to be a godmother to my long-time friend first Child. I was so excited that I even asked her if she need me to sign any document ahahahaha (I know dumb dumb). Not only was I very happy, I was anxious about knowing my role as a godmother, so I decided to Google “responsibilities of a godmother” This is what I found from various source.

God parents are responsible in nurturing the spiritual growth of the child. The parents guide the child in day-to-day functions, but the God parent guides the child when it comes to their relationship with God. It is actually a very big responsibility and an honourable position to hold in the child’s life. A Godparent is also usually responsible for the child if something happens to the parents.

You will be responsible to be there when the child needs you to be there. Also to help raise him/her in a way. Like, teach your beliefs, and how to be a good person, all those good motherly things!

Traditionally, the godparents were counted informally responsible for ensuring that the child's religious education was carried out, and for caring for the child should he/she be orphaned. Today the latter duty is the most commonly recognized duty of a godparent, and the word "godparent" often no longer has religious overtones. The modern definition of godparent is an individual chosen by the parents to take a vested interest in raising a more complete human being. However, godparent is not a legal position, and should the parents seriously intend the godparents to act as foster parents in case of their death, this must be legally specified through the usual means (such as a will). In the Catholic Church a Godparent is much like a patron saint on earth, who prays for the newly baptized, looks after them spiritually and gives them guidance.



What's your definition of a godmother?


2 comments:

  1. Congrats and its indeed an honour for one to give your such position..Use it wisely and the lord will guide you..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you girl:)my first follower:)

    ReplyDelete